Selfhosting as a server owner
If you're a server owner and are considering selfhosting keep in mind that we recommend using the bot that we host over our selfhosted version. The reason for this is that selfhosting only has minor upsides and that we can't really offer support to selfhosters.
Installing the database¶
- Download PostgreSQL 13 and start the installation.
- Make sure pgadmin is checked in the installation wizard.
- Use as password 'password'. This is safe because the database will not be accessed externally. You can set a different password in the config.json we create later.
- Set the port to port '5432' and continue with the installation. You can also change this port in the config if you want.
- After the installation is done, open pgadmin.
- Right-click on databases and create a database called 'fmbot'.
Running the bot¶
- Download the
BinaryRelease.zipfrom the latest release.
- Extract both BinaryRelease.zip and BinaryFiles.zip and put the files into the same folder.
- Make sure you have the .NET 5.0 SDK installed
- Run the bot once and a config file should be created in configs/configs.json. The database tables will also be created.
- Open this config and enter the values. Spotify and Genius api keys aren't required, but the commands will not work.
- Make sure the config is in a valid json format.
- Run the bot again.
If you want to update the bot in the future, just download the new "BinaryRelease.zip" and/or the new "BinaryFiles.zip" and override the old files with the new ones.
Viewing the data
To view the data in the database, click the fmbot database > schemas > public > tables.
Please also launch the bot from the "StartFMBot.bat" as it allows the bot to restart itself when there is an error.
Getting API keys¶
- Go to the Discord Developers Portal
- Create a bot and enter your token into the config file.
- Create an API account
- Enter the key and secret into the config file.
- Go to your API Clients
- Create one and enter the 'client access token' into the config file.
- Go to the Spotify Developer dashboard
- Create an app and enter both the ID and the secret into the config file.